Cumberland County District PTA Council
Executive Board Meeting
Cumberland County Schools Central Office
March 1, 2016
The Cumberland County District PTA Council met on Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 3:45 p.m. in the Human Resource Meeting Room, with the following board members present:
Sonya Harriott, Emily Grimes, Porcha McMillan, Heather Fuentes, Cathy Hurley, Melody Chalmers, Dr. Mary Hales, Margie Maddox and Renarta C. Moyd.
President, Porcha McMillan called the meeting to order at 3:48 p.m. The board approved the February minutes. Heather Fuentes made the motion and Renarta C. Moyd 2nd with a unanimous vote to approve the minutes as read and corrected with the change that Child, Youth, and Child Services provided the bags in February.
The Treasurer’s report was presented for information only.
President, Porcha McMillan opened up the meeting with welcoming everyone back.
- The Nominating Committee is complete with Deanna Jones, Heather Fuentes, and Emily Grimes.
- For the National Convention for 2016, Heather Fuentes will be the delegate to represent the Board. Heather made the motion to change the designation of the funds from hotel to an expense stipend. Melody Chalmers 2nd the motion. It was unanimously voted yes.
- The Just Ask Grant was discussed and CCDPTA’s focus and proposal is to partner with CCS SHAC and assist with county wellness policy in alignment with our healthy lifestyle theme.
- CCDPTA S.P.I.C.E. Grant committee has awarded 8 local units. The funds will be announced to the winners by the end of the week.
- The county parent meetings held by Dr. Till were successful, but in efforts to address parents requests CCDPTA has agreed to provide a setting where parents can receive the information they need in a more hands on environment.
- Renarta shared that CCS is launching a No Sexting Campaign.
- On April 7, 2016, there will be a session called “Real Talk”
- The slogan is “Keep it One Hundred” as a no sexting initiative
- The slogan is used to express the need to keep “things real”
- There will be an all day observance on April 7, 2016. CCS Schools/Students will compete by creating a video pertaining to the initiative. CCS will award Cash prizes.
- On April 15, 2016, Russell Perry with the National Center for Exploited children will be the host for middle and high school presentations that will be watched in the classrooms at a set time
- At 7 p.m., parents will be given the opportunity and encouraged to watch a presentation at home with their children.
- CCS will provide a teaser introduction on March 17, 2016 via twitter, e-blast, and other social media sites for all to see.
- Renarta extended the opportunity for CCDPTA to contact Russell about being a panelist for the parent discussion forum.
Board Committee Reports
VP of Leadership-Heather Fuentes
- There was no report
VP of Membership, Rosalyn Hinton
- There are currently three schools that have not paid their dues yet
Military Support Team
- On April 15, 2016, we are encouraging everyone to wear purple in observance of Military Appreciation Month
- July 3 is when a major league baseball game will occur on the old Pope AFB baseball field. The event is free of charge.
- Cathy Hurley will be featured on “Get Connected” and WIDU 1600 AM radio station on Monday at 11:34 a.m.
There was no report
Principal Advisory Board
- Hales and her partners will be taking students to the March 19th Charlotte Hornets basketball game.
- Melody Chalmers announced that E.E. Smith High will have their Spring Fashion Show March 24th at 6:30 p.m. in the Auditorium, sponsored by the Arts Department, Kohls, Marshalls, the E.E. Smith students and PTA
- ESL will collaborate with 71st High School for an International Fair on April 21, 2016 at the 71st High School Cafeteria starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Male Engagement will partner with the athletic department to show unity and participation at various sporting events
Superintendent Advisory Board
- The “Real Talk” initiative will kick off April 7th with more information to come
With no further business Porcha McMillan, President, adjourned meeting at 4:57 p.m.
The next Board Meeting will be held on April 5, 2016. It will be held at 3:45 p.m. in our normal location.
Respectfully submitted by:Sonya Harriott
Approved by: Porcha McMillan