Cumberland County District PTA Council
Board of Director’s Meeting
Cumberland County Schools Central Office
January 4, 2016
The Cumberland County District PTA Council met on Tuesday, January 4, 2016 at 3:30 p.m. in the Human Resource Meeting Room, with the following board members present: Sonya Harriott, Kirk Hanton, Porcha McMillan, Jerial Bogan, Deanna Jones, Heather Fuentes, Cathy Hurley, Iris Pierce, Victor Pace, Dr. Mary Hales, and Renarta C. Moyd.
President, Porcha McMillan called the meeting to order at 3:50 p.m. The board approved the December minutes. Heather Fuentes made the motion and Dr. Mary Hales 2nd with an unanimous vote to approve the minutes as read.
President, Porcha McMillan opened up the meeting with welcoming everyone back.
- Porcha will follow-up on the T-Shirt proposal once she has more details, limited time due to the hectic holiday break.
- We need to recruit one more person to serve on the Nominating Committee. A suggestion was to reach out to local PTA Presidents.
- We will meet with Mr. Henderson from Heartfelt Savings, this month to launch the Seniors Scholarship Program. Henderson has advised he will provide us with the first check, which we project is to be released to CCDPTA at the end of the month.
- We have submitted The Just Ask Grant to NCPTA and we hope to receive from $1000 to $2500. It has been proposed to incorporate healthy lifestyles into the grant with food as an initiative based on school regulations. Spreading awareness has been a request therefore; we are looking promoting non-food based fundraisers.
- We have launched the CCDPTA SPICE Grants funded through Cumberland County Foundation Grant. The grant cycle will be from February-June 2016 awarding local units up to $1,000.00. CCF would like to award us additional monies with the minimum being $10,000 for next school year. This is a great opportunity to increase parent involvement/engagement. CCF will provide us with a press release and then we will upload documents to our website.
- Reflections Chair has sent an email to the BOD requesting judges for artwork by non-bias parties. January 25th will be the “Paint the Ice” event at the Crown Coliseum in partnership with the Fire Antz Hockey Team from 5-7 p.m. in preparation for the game the following day. The exposure and table set-up is a great opportunity for CCDPTA. The Crown has also provided a fundraising opportunity allowing local CCS Schools and Head Starts to sell tickets for the Fire Antz game at $10.00 and they will receive a $3.00 profit. However, Head Starts are funded under a federal program, which permits them from fundraising or requesting funds from families. Therefore, we will not include Head Starts in the fundraising piece however; the families are still welcome to attend the events..
- CCDPTA will partner with CCS to host 3 Parent Dialogue Sessions held in various districts. This will be an opportunity for parents to receive updates from Dr. Till, CCDPTA and dialogue about some concerns our children face. The 3 sessions will be from 6:30 PM-8:00 PM on January 11, 2016 at Westover High School, January 25, 2016 at Pine Forest High School, and February 1, 2016 at South View High School. CCDPTA will donate 3- $50.00 Walmart gift cards, CCS Schools will donate 6- $25 restaurant gift cards and Kirk Hanton’s- MyEcon Financial will donate 3- tablets. Till asked for CCDPTA to assist in getting the parents more involved in these events.
Board Committee Reports
VP of Leadership-Heather Fuentes
- Heather met with the liaisons and discussed their focus will be on the schools that are active PTA’s and in good standing. Next year they will focus on the inactive PTAs within the district.
VP of Membership, Rosalyn Hinton
- We currently have 17 schools that are CCDPTA members. 71st Classical Middle School’s membership was received over the Holiday break.
Military Support Team
- Iris Pierce thanked the Board for sending out military informational updates and touched on information about Military Spouse scholarships. Iris advised she would continue to provide CCDPTA with information and links to support the Military Support Page.
SEPTA, Deanna Jones
- She is the process of getting the committee together and will provide us with more details in the future.
Principal’s Advisory Board
- Hales shared that January is Mentoring Appreciation Month and CCS will have a Recognition Ceremony on January 21, 2016 at ERC at 8:30 a.m. in the Auditorium.
ESL, Sonya Harriot
- Sonya advised the committee is planning for the ESL Meet and Greet sessions and will provide more information once finalized.
Male Engagement, Kirk Hanton
- Mr. Kirk Hanton announced that they will have a 71st PTSA Male Involvement event during the Spirit Night and Basketball game.
With no further business Porcha McMillan, President, adjourned the meeting at 4:55 p.m.
The next Board Meeting will be held on February 2, 2016. It will be held at 3:45 p.m. in our normal location.
Respectfully submitted by: Sonya Harriott
Approved by: Porcha McMillan